09-28-2005, 08:45 AM
| | Acquisition of Larger Student Housing Property Portfolios
A number of investment groups are seking to acquire portfolios of student
housing properties to implement their business strategies.
The business rationale seems to be in building up a strong specialty housing
niche, with a built-in demographic driving to higher and stable occupancies in
The prevailing underwriting is something like the following :
1. The active searches are for portfolios of these student housing properties
that are valued from $50 million to $250 million.
2. Each constituent property is at a minimum of 100 units.
3. Each constitutent is at a minimum $7 million.
4. Near universities having a population at a 10,000 minimum.
5. Built 1970 and thereafter.
6. Preference for transactions where debt can be paid off, or alternately
able to assume debt bearing advantageous terms.
We are not the principals, and are acting to pursue ventures.
If you have an access to these portfolios, please call Mr. Margolin of
Chilmark Associates Inc. at 203-353-0897.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]